Being bored when travelling the world to experience different cultures might sound impossible. With all the fun and exciting things that you will experience, how can you even think about boredom being a problem? For some travelers however, this can be a real issue when they are undertaking long journeys. Whether it is a long road trip within the USA or a lengthy flight to more exotic locations like the stunning Maldives, the journey itself can become very tiresome after a while.
The good news for all you culture vultures is that there are many things you can do to beat travel boredom. You can use them at any point for amusement – from long waits on train station platforms to when you are in the air on a long-haul flight. Forget about the usual distractions of listening to music or sleeping. Instead, take steps to stay entertained in way that will help you stay sharp mentally.
Keep a healthy mind when travelling
As well as the sheer boredom of moving between destinations at times, traveling can also make you feel tired and sluggish mentally. As a regular traveler it is important to avoid this, so that you stay in the best mental health. Here are some great ways to go about it.
- Solve online puzzles – there is nothing wrong with heading online to stay mentally sharp and amused when on the move. The key is to choose things that engage your mind and make you think, rather than passively consuming. One great way is to try solving online puzzles which will certainly keep the brain active. Cryptograms are the best puzzles as they really make you think and the hours will fly by. There are many sites online that provide the chance to solve cryptograms, and you will love this cool way of beating boredom when on your next trip.
- Draw or color – this next tip is superb for traveling. It is also great fun which is pretty cool too! Pack a blank pad and a pen in your hand luggage and take it out when you feel the urge to be creative. Drawing your surroundings or images from your imagination will unleash your creativity and help you forget about the journey. If you would rather, pick up an adult coloring book to use instead.
- Learn a new language – if you are headed somewhere where a foreign language is spoken then why not use your travel time to learn some useful phrases? This will help keep your mind active while you learn something to use when you arrive. There are many mobile phone apps that you could use for this when on the move or you could go old-school with a printed phrase book. Not only will the journey soon be over by the time you are done but you will feel better equipped to enjoy your new destination.
- Talk to people – this is one great tip that most of us forget about! Whether you are traveling as part of a group or on your own, talking to new people is a great way to keep busy. This will not only occupy your mind but will help you to stay amused when waiting around for that next bus or train. It will also give you the chance to laugh and make new friends which is great for your overall well-being.
- Do some research – as we have already noted, heading online when traveling can be worthwhile. One cool way to use the internet is to research where you are going on the way out. This will not only give you an idea of the culture of your destination but also help you to plan out your trip. By finding out about what there is to see and do in advance, you can make sure you do not miss out on anything of interest.
Look after your mind and have fun
Going on holiday is amazing but sometimes the journey there and back is not. With this in mind, it is key to plan out some activities to fall back on when boredom sets in. It is also just as key to choose activities that stimulate your mind and keep it in great shape. This will allow you to enjoy your adventure when you get there. If you are looking for cool and fun ways to do this then the above advice should help.