Many of us work hard to create a safe and secure environment for our families, but the truth is that sometimes we don’t do everything we can. There are many ways you can make your home more secure, and this blog post will teach you some tips and tricks to keep your family safe.
1) Lock all doors – This tip may seem like common knowledge, but it’s important! Make sure all exterior doors are locked at night. If someone wants to break in, they’ll have a much harder time if there isn’t an open door waiting for them.
If you always forget to lock your doors, a good way to make sure your home is secure is to invest in smart locks. These are locks that you can lock and unlock with your phone, so even if you are away, you can still make sure everything is locked up. These smart locks also come equipped with cameras to give you peace of mind when away from home. You’ll know exactly who comes in or out.
2) Keep your windows locked – While you want to make sure all exterior doors are locked, it’s also important to keep the windows on those doors secure. If someone has access to an unlocked window they have a much easier time breaking in; locking them ensures that without a key no one can get inside.
Believe it or not, most security systems come equipped with sensors that you can add to your windows as well. If you have a lot of windows that could be points of entry, invest in a customizable DIY system so that you can add as many of these as you want in the most cost-effective manner.
3) Install a security system – This tip is a little more expensive but well worth it. A good home security system can help protect your family from harm and give you peace of mind at all times. The best part about these systems? They are customizable to fit the needs of your specific house or apartment.
There are two types of monitoring systems to choose from: hard-wired and wireless. Hard-wired systems are more secure, but they can also be much harder to install yourself. Wireless security systems tend to cost less up front because you don’t have as many cords; however, hard-wired systems may not be allowed by some landlords, so if you rent a home, you may only have one option.
4) Invest in professional monitoring – Professional monitoring is a little bit more expensive, but it’s also the best way to keep your family safe. Some companies like ADT have this included as a basic part of their plan while others like Nest have it featured as an add-on for $10 per month (though some companies charge more).
5) Keep your yard secure – If you have a fenced-in backyard, this tip might seem like common sense; however, even if you don’t, there are still ways to keep intruders out.
One of the best things you can do is invest in outdoor cameras. These don’t have to be fancy, but they will give you the ability to keep an eye on your yard. You can also use motion-activated floodlights for this purpose as well. Not only do these help protect your home by scaring off would-be criminals, but it’s also a good way to prevent your pets from accidentally going too far at night.
These are just 5 of the many tips and tricks you can use to make your home more secure. If you want more information on this topic, do some more research so you can find the home security system that works best for you.