Before getting into detail about blood sugar level, let us know what can happen when there is too much glucose in the blood. Diabetes can be the outcome of excessive sugar level in blood.
Blood sugar levels determine the glucose content in blood, and by having regular check-ups, it becomes easy to keep an eye on the glucose level
What is a normal blood sugar level?
Normal glucose or sugar levels can be different for people with diabetes and without diabetes. It varies depending on the meal and time of the day. Other factors also suffice the difference in sugar levels. Let us discuss the normal range of glucose :
|Check up time.||For diabetic people||For nom diabetic people|
|Early morning||Ranges from 70-130 mg/dL||Less than 100 mg/dL|
|Before lunch||Ranges from 70-130 mg/dL||Less than 110 mg/dL|
|After two hours of meal||Less than 180 mg/dL||Less than 140 mg/dL|
|Before going to bed.||Ranges from 90-150 mg/dL||Less than 120 mg/dL|
|Glycosylated hemoglobin||Less than 7%||Less than 6%|
The normal blood sugar levels ensure that the person is doing fine and leading a healthy lifestyle. Although, when the levels increase or get abnormally high, it alarms the person about the upcoming chaos in the body. It becomes crucial to take the necessary precautions to keep the blood sugar level in control.
Measures to control blood sugar level :
A person without diabetes can keep an eye on the amount of sugar consumption. Even for a non-diabetic, it is essential to keep an eye on the blood sugar level, and for that testing, every month will be helpful. An increase in blood sugar level from the normal range can be a sign to take necessary precautions.
- For people with diabetes, it is crucial to keep a record of the blood sugar levels and sticking to the targeted range. The test can either be done at home or the clinic. But with the advancement of technology, we can easily test the blood sugar level at home.
- To keep a healthy blood sugar level, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle. There are chances that it gets transferred genetically. It is always advisable to opt for healthier options when it comes to food.
- Avoiding excessive carbohydrate intake can help in getting back to normal.
- Fiber intake in ample amount will help in normalizing the situation.
- Water is boon for a living being, including us, humans. For people with a high level of blood sugar, it becomes very necessary to increase the consumption of water. It will help in hydrating the body and with that decrease blood sugar level. Even for a non-diabetic, it is essential to consume a good amount of water.
- Staying active is another way to normalize the blood sugar level.
- With a chronic condition like type 2 diabetes, medicines like farxiga can help in controlling the blood sugar level.
High blood sugar level.
When the blood sugar level crosses the normal range and keeps on increasing at an alarming rate, one should get concerned about it and consult a doctor as soon as possible. An out of control sugar level can harm the person in many ways. It can damage the kidney, vision, and can be the cause of heart attack. Nerve problems can accompany.
People tend to get a headache, get thirsty, or hungry. Drowsiness, blurred vision, excessive urine, wounds taking time to heal, etc. can be some of the initial signs of high blood sugar.
Low blood sugar level.
People with Low blood sugar level or hypoglycemia can have blood sugar level lower than 50 mg/dL. It can make a person nervous, weak, increased palpitations. Low blood sugar levels can make a person feel dizzy, excessive sweaty. When it gets extremely low, it can lead to seizures and loss of consciousness. It should be taken into consideration as soon as possible by treating the person with food which has sugar in it, including juices or soft drinks.
People with hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia should keep a record of their blood sugar level and stick to a healthy routine. A healthy routine and proper medication would help in achieving a normal sugar level.
To read more on topics like this, check out the lifestyle category.